This course aims to stress the significant effect of music on learning and also provide participants with teaching strategies, which use music as a powerful tool in order to meet learning objectives. Studies have shown that music improves academic engagement, cognitive evolution, develops critical thinking, and fosters self-esteem, intercultural awareness, and the ability to work cooperatively in teams. It also nourishes sensory integration, emotional and behavioural maturity. It leads to a Level 7 EQC Certificate, accompanied by a Europass Certicicate Supplement with 10 transferable ECVET points.
“Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy. Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents”- Ludwig van Beethoven.
The course aims to make participants aware of the following matters:
- Music as a powerful classroom – engaging tool
- Music and self – expression
- Increasing learners’ confidence and sense of responsibility through music
- Music and emotional maturity
- The benefits of music for cognitive evolution
- Music and critical thinking
- Fostering creative and active learning through music
- Music as a tool for collaborative learning
- Cultivating intercultural awareness through music
- Teaching strategies and ICT tools for integrating music in the classroom
Participants from different European countries will have the opportunity to discuss their teaching experiences and consider potential future cooperation between their schools or organisations.
The main aspect of the course is to promote collaboration between participants. Lessons will be held in our centre’s classrooms and computer lab, as well as outside. Our approach is to base the learning process on practical rather than theoretical knowledge. The course is designed on active learning methods and, at the end of the course, teach participant should be able to use the taught techniques effectively.
Every participant will have to fill a questionnaire which helps the trainers to customize the course to better fit their needs.
Attendants will get instructions and material which will help them to be prepared for the courses needs.
Course Contents Overview:
- The significant role of music in our life
- The benefits of music in education
- Music as powerful teaching tool
- Increasing learners’ engagement and concentration through music
- Music as a path to self-expression
- The impact of music on learners’ confidence
- Cultivating emotional maturity through music
- The effect of music on individual cognitive evolution
- How is critical thinking affected by music?
- Creative and active learning in “melodic” classrooms
- Team work and music
- Music connects cultures
- Techniques and ICT tools for incorporating music in the classroom
- Lesson planning for “melodic” classrooms
Course participants will be given several practical exercises based on the theoretical background provided and their own teaching experiences.
Structured study visits
During the course, we also organize study visits to local schools. Normally, we discuss with participants their needs and we organize study visits to cover these needs. Depending on the group, we organize from a minimum of one to a maximum of five study visits. Popular study visits include:
- A special needs education school
- A school for adults from disadvantaged backgrounds
- A school with Roma mainstreaming classes
- Vocational secondary and post-secondary schools
- General primary and secondary schools
Each study visit is structured and accompanied by reflective activities. There is no extra cost for these study visits.
There are two outdoor learning activities: a gamified tour of the town and a visit to a local historical site. The onsite visit is accompanied by non-formal European history learning activities, as well as activities that link this history to the course topic. There is no extra cost for these activities.
There is also an optional social programme for those interested. This programme may include an intercultural night, lunches and dinners at different restaurants, going out for a drink or coffee, or even an extra excursion – if there is time! These activities depend on participant needs and wants, and those participating in them will have to pay for what they choose to eat and drink. If there is an optional excursion, they will also have to pay van costs and any other expenses (e.g. museum tickets)
The participants will get material which includes information about all the areas covered at the course, lesson plans, all the produced outcomes of the course, useful links and more.
The above material can be freely used by the participants at their school.
Target Group / Who is this course for
This course is for every teacher in primary, secondary, adult or vocational education and training.
Duration and cost
The duration of the course is 7 days and the cost is 490€. This amount can be fully covered via an Erasmus+ grant provided by your National Agency.
Unless you participate in the above mentioned excursions and going-outs, there are no other costs involved. However, we can also offer consultancy/ coaching services to your school. Previous experience includes:
- Supporting the multiculturization of educational material
- Helping with designing more inclusive classrooms
- Material development
- Outdoor learning activities design
- 7.4.2019 – 13.4.2019 (confirmed)
The course will take place in the city of Kalamata, Greece. Here you can find more information about Kalamata and your accomodation.
Assistance is available. Don’t hesitate to ask us for help!